Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Gettysburg books

Brett at TOCWOC, has tallied the results from the joint blogging effort I recently participated in concerning the top Gettysburg books. Click here to see the full tally, but here is a shortened version of the top 10:
1 Gettysburg Campaign: Study in Command by Edwin B Coddington
2 Gettysburg - The Second Day by Harry W. Phanz
3 Retreat from Gettysburg by Kent Masterson Brown
4 (tie) Gettysburg: A Journey in Time by William A Frassanito
4 (tie) Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
6 Gettysburg July 1 by David Martin
7 Pickett's Charge in History and Memory by Carol Reardon
8 Plenty of Blame to Go Around by Eric Wittenberg and J. David Petruzzi
9 Pickett's Charge: The Last Attack at Gettysburg by Earl J. Hess
10 Gettysburg by Stephen Sears

I think the list is right on with one exception, I don't think two Pickett's Charge books should be in the top 10 but that's a minor quibble. I am surprised how highly Retreat from Gettysburg was ranked. Looking over my list again I'm shocked that I forgot to include Killer Angels in any fashion. That was the book that got me hooked on the Civil War and started all this craziness. I'm glad others remembered to include it so that it ended up in a tie for fourth.

Here's my list again for comparison:
1 Gettysburg Campaign: Study in Command by Edwin B Coddington
2 Gettysburg - The First Day by Harry W. Phanz
3 Maps of Gettysburg by Bradley M. Gottfried
4 Gettysburg: A Journey in Time by William A Frassanito
5 Gettysburg Day Two: A Study in Maps by John Imhof
6 Covered With Glory: 26th North Carolina at Gettysburg by Rod Gragg
7 In the Bloody Railroad Cut at Gettysburg by Lance J Herdegen and William JK Beaudot
8 Lee's Real Plan at Gettysburg by Troy D Harman
9 Retreat from Gettysburg by Kent Masterson Brown
10 Pickett's Charge by George R Stewart

This was a fun event and I hope we do something like it again in the future.

No comments: