Monday, October 6, 2008

the "most historically accurate reenactment"

Friday as I was leaving work I saw a news story for the "most historically accurate reenactment." I was intrigued so I clicked the link and it brings up the following story:

civil war reenactment scheduled for october 3
published: October 01 2008 11:25 AM updated:: October 01 2008 11:25 AM
The Helen Ross McNabb Center and the Frank H. McClung Museum present Bash at the Clash, October 3 at a reconstructed fort on the Clapp Family Farm near the intersection of Millertown Pike and Circle Road. The event will begin promptly at 6:00 pm and will be held rain or shine. Dress for the event is casual.Bash at the Clash is designed to be the most historically accurate reenactment of the Civil War's Battle of Fort Sanders complete with live cannon and musket fire. The event begins with cocktails and a brief history of the battle leading up to a special viewing of the reenactment of the full battle, followed by heavyhors d'oeuvers (served by Knoxville’s own Regas Restaurant) and period music. Individual tickets are $100 each and tables of 10 are $1,000. The ticket price includes transportation to the battle site, admission, food, beverages and entertainment. All proceeds go to the Helen Ross McNabb Center and the Frank H. McClung Museum.For more information or to purchase tickets, contact Nicole Randall at Nicole.randall@mcnabb.org or 865-329-9030.

The part that caught my eye was: "complete with live cannon and musket fire." Its been awhile since I reenacted but I've been a hunter since I was old enough to tote a gun. In my experience live ammunition means it has powder and bullet. Maybe this means something different in reenacting circles but as far as I know live ammunition is the kind that propels a bullet down range into some sort of target (paper or animal). I certainly hope in reenacting circles live ammo means something different or this reenactment will truly be the most historically accurate because there will be real wounds, not guys bursting blood packs or ketchup packets.

So far I have not seen a review of the event, but since I didn't see anything on the news this weekend about the tragic killing of a few hundred reenactors I assume live ammo means something different to reenactors than it does to hunters.

No comments: