Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Rebel Rivers by Mark Nesbitt



Rebel Rivers by Mark Nesbitt


My father actually came across this book at the library. I had never heard of it but am glad he found it. This is a great book. As the subtitle says, it is a guide for sites on Potomac, Rappahannock, James and York Rivers. Nesbitt will tell you what happened there and how to find the place, pretty standard fare as guide books go. Some of this information is in other guide books but Nesbitt also gives directions on seeing many places by water. I don't think I'd ever do a trip by water but this would be an important book to have along if I ever did. Nearly 100% of those sites can also be reached by land but Nesbitt points out that many of them were first seen by soldiers from the water so it makes sense to see it as the soldiers saw it. Even if you never intend to see them by water I think this guide book would be useful for land based trips.

2 comments:

Slamdunk said...

Nice book reference--I'll have to look it up, thanks.

Chris Evans said...

Nesbitt's series of books on the Ghosts of Gettysburg are very fun to read and full of great stories.
Thanks,
Chris