Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sheboygan monument

The week before grandpa's funeral dad had gone back to see him. While there he snapped some photos of the town monument for its Civil War soldiers. As you can see its been a long winter in Sheboygan, Wisconsin. I'm somewhat surprised at the good condition of the monument. Its over 100 years old and usually monuments show a bit more wear from the weather, but this one seems to have held up well. I especially like the details on it denoting the different branches of service; infantry, artillery, cavalry and navy. Sheboygan is on Lake Michigan so I'm sure there were some boys who signed up for naval duty because their family had been in the shipping business on the lake. That's just a guess on my part but I think its a reasonable conclusion to make.





No comments: