Thursday, June 12, 2008

Help

I need help. I'm in the beginning stages of planning a trip back to hallowed ground, probably in May 2009 and probably to Chattanooga, maybe Memphis. That's not the part I really need help with, although if you have some suggestions along those lines I'd love to hear them.

What I need help with is that this will be the first vacation that I'll have my new family in tow. I picked Chattanooga because I know there are a lot of other things we can do as a family. Combine a trip to Point Park with a visit to Ruby Falls. Catch a Lookouts ballgame, do the various train things (he loves trains), see the aquarium, ride the Ducks. Plus I'll find time for Chickamauga. What other kid friendly (he'll be 5 1/2) things are there to do in the area?

Plus I'm thinking of either a 9 day or 2 week trip. So we'll fly into either Nashville or Atlanta. I'd prefer to avoid things in those big cities but what kid friendly attractions are there along the roads we'd be traveling? I figured roughly 6 days in Chattanooga and then the rest of the trip hitting other sites along the road and in the city we fly into. I could easily find Civil War stuff for every hour of the trip but the wife and 5 year old won't find that very fun and I want a family vacation they remember for more than "we were dragged around to look at cannons by dad."

I'm also itching to get back to Shiloh, and there I really don't know as many kid friendly attractions. Maybe make that a shorter trip with much time spent in Memphis.

Any ideas?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I kinda stumbled onto your blog doing my regular scan for 81st OVI info. You probably have the trip mapped out but....If you fly into Nashville you will pass through Murfreesboro on the way to Chattanooga. The NBP has lots of room to run and a long line of field guns. There is also a cool little CW antiques store right at the battle field. From Atlanta, after you've seen The Confederama at Grant Park, stop and see "The General" at Kennesaw. Kids love it.
Then drive up past the Resaca battlefield and through Snake Creek Gap where Macpherson turned Joe Johnston's flank and then threw away the advantage. It's been awhile since I was in that neck of the woods because I'm a Yankee from Seattle. If I think of more I'll post it. Wish I could go with you. Steve

Anonymous said...

Try the Mellow Mushroom in downtown Chattanooga. Good pizza. Chattanooga is a cool city, college town with lots of things to do. My son goes to school there and really loves it. Have a great trip.

jbones

Anonymous said...

Nick, I suggest the Creative Discovery Museum in downtown Chattanooga, about 3 blocks from the aquarium and just down the hill from the Lookouts. It is perfect for a child that age.

http://www.cdmfun.org/